The news is alive with an intensive variety of predictions, forecasts, and prognostications. Just like they were at the start of the epidemic. Most, if not all, of the disease’s models, turned out wrong, as you also know.
Now the discussion is turning; I believe it’s becoming about the economy and stock prices.
You may enjoy an example of past forecasts and predictions as a precursor of some of the nonsense you’re likely to hear, are you ready? Here we go….
- “You’ll never make any money out of children’s book.” – advice to JK Rowling from the editor at Bloomsbury Books, 1996.
- “It will be years – not in my time – before a woman will become prime minister.” – Margaret Thatcher, circa 1970
- “There is practically no chance communication space satellites will be used to provide better telephone, telegraph, television, or radio service inside the United States.” – FCC Commissioner, 1961
- “Space travel is utter bilge” – Richard Van Der Riet Woolley, Astronomer Royal, 1956
- “You better get secretarial work or get married.” – Emmeline Snively was advising Marilyn Monroe in 1944.
- “Atomic energy might be as good as our present-day explosives, but it is unlikely to produce anything very much more dangerous.” Winston Churchill, 1939
- “Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau.” – Irving Fischer, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929
We, Americans, always adapt, innovate, and conquer – keep the faith: Smile, hug someone, it’s ok.
Carlos Dominguez – CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, Portfolio Manager, RJFS
Photo by Gary Butterfiled (my cropping)
Sources are being provided for information purposes only. Raymond James is not affiliated with and does not, authorize, or sponsor any of the listed sources. Raymond James is not responsible for the content of any source or the collection or use of information regarding any source’s users and/or members. Past performance may not be indicative of future results. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index of 500 widely held stocks that is considered representative of the U.S. stock Market. Inclusion of these indexes is for illustrative purposes only. The NASDAQ composite is an unmanaged index of securities traded on the NASDAQ system. Leading Economic Indicators are selected economic statistics that have proven valuable as a group in estimating the direction and magnitude of economic change. Keep in mind that individuals cannot invest directly in any index, and index performance does not include transaction costs or other fees, which will affect actual investment performance. Individual investor’s results will vary. Any opinions are those of Carlos Dominguez and not necessarily those of Raymond James. This material is being provided for information purposes only and is not a complete description, nor recommendation. The information has been obtained from sources considered reliable, but Raymond James does not guarantee that the foregoing material is accurate or complete. Investing involves risk and you may incur a profit or loss regardless of strategy selected. There is no assurance that any investment strategy will be successful. Investing involves risk and investors may incur a profit or a loss.