The S&P 500 futures are up 28 points and are trading 0.6% above fair value. The Nasdaq 100 futures are up 81 points and are trading 0.6% above fair value. The Dow Jones Industrial Average futures are up 202 points and are trading 1.0% above fair value.
A sentiment-driven rebound effort has taken root in the equity futures market, with the bank stocks showing big gains this morning and panic buying in the Treasury market abating. The 2-yr note yield is up 20 basis points to 4.23%, and the 10-yr note yield is up 11 basis points to 3.62%.
The closely watched Consumer Price Index is coming out at 8:30 a.m. ET, which will help inform Fed’s next interest rate move. On a related note, the CME FedWatch Tool now reflects a 67.2% probability of a 25 basis points rate hike and a 32.8% probability of no rate hike at the March FOMC meeting.
Other data released today was limited to the February NFIB Small Business Optimism (actual 90.9; prior 90.3).
WTI crude oil futures are down 1.7% to $73.56/bbl, and natural gas futures are down 0.7% to $2.71/mmbtu.
(Michael Gibbs, Director of Equity Portfolio & Technical Strategy)
The S&P 500 traded in a wide range and touched support while also breaching resistance to close higher at 3855.76. The volume was well above average, with 3,974,477,056 shares traded, and downside came in at 73% of the overall volume. It is too early to call a return of buying demand, so the index needs to close above resistance at 3885.54 soon to halt the downtrend. Also, the S&P 500 is still at the lower Bollinger Band, which could bring in buyers today.
We are currently Intermediate-term bearish and short-term bearish.
John N. Lilly III CPFA
Accredited Portfolio Management Advisor℠
Accredited Asset Management Specialist℠
Portfolio Manager, RJFS
Windsor Wealth Planners & Strategist
Futures trading is speculative, leveraged, and involves substantial risks. Investing always involves risk, including the loss of principal, and futures trading could present additional risk based on underlying commodities investments.
The Relative Strength Index (RSI), developed by J. Welles Wilder, is a momentum oscillator that measures the speed and changes of price movements.
The advance/decline line (A/D) is a technical indicator that plots the difference between the number of advancing and declining stocks on a daily basis. The indicator is cumulative, with a positive number being added to the prior number, or if the number is negative, it is subtracted from the prior number.
The A/D line is used to show market sentiment, as it tells traders whether there are more stocks rising or falling. It is used to confirm price trends in major indexes and can also warn of reversals when divergence occurs.
The percentage of stocks trading above a specific moving average is a breadth indicator that measures internal strength or weakness in the underlying index. The 50-day moving average is used for short-to-medium-term timeframes, while the 150-day and 200-day moving averages are used for medium-to-long-term timeframes. Signals can be derived from overbought/oversold levels, crosses above/below 50%, and bullish/bearish divergences.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA), commonly known as “The Dow,” is an index representing 30 stocks of companies maintained and reviewed by the editors of the Wall Street Journal. The Russell 2000 Index measures the performance of the 2,000 smallest companies in the Russell 3000 Index, which represent approximately 8% of the total market capitalization of the Russell 3000 Index.
The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index of 500 widely held stocks that is generally considered representative of the U.S stock market. Past performance may not be indicative of future results. Keep in mind that individuals cannot invest directly in any index, and index performance does not include transaction costs or other fees, which will affect actual investment performance. Individual investors’ results will vary. Opinions expressed are those of the author John N. Lilly III, and not necessarily those of Raymond James. “There is no guarantee that these statements, opinions, or forecast provided herein will prove to be correct. “The information contained was received from sources believed to be reliable, but accuracy is not guaranteed. Investing always involves risk, and you may incur a profit or loss. No investment strategy can guarantee success. The charts and/or tables presented herein are for illustrative purposes only and should not be considered as the sole basis for your investment decision. International investing involves special risks, including currency fluctuations, different financial accounting standards, and possible political and economic volatility. Investing in emerging markets can be riskier than investing in well-established foreign markets.
This is not a recommendation to buy or sell any company’s stock mentioned above.
US government bonds and treasury bills are guaranteed by the US government and, if held to maturity, offer a fixed rate of return and guaranteed principal value. US government bonds are issued and guaranteed as to the timely payment of principal and interest by the federal government. Bond prices and yields are subject to change based on market conditions and availability. If bonds are sold prior to maturity, you may receive more or less than your initial investment. Holding bonds to term allows redemption at par value. There is an inverse relationship between interest rate movements and bond prices. Generally, when interest rates rise, bond prices fall, and when interest rates fall, bond prices generally rise.
The Nasdaq 100 (^NDX) is a stock market index made up of 103 equity securities issued by 100 of the largest non-financial companies listed on the NASDAQ. It is a modified capitalization-weighted index. It is based on exchange, and it is not an index of U.S.-based companies.