Wealth Management Firm Near Me - Facebook Icon IMG  Wealth Planning Near Me - Certified Financial Planners Twitter Icon IMG   Find A Financial Advisor Near Me - Wealth Planners Linkedin Icon IMG 


Access Your Account Online

☰ Menu
Planning & Economy

A Way to Avoid Ordinary Income Taxes

July 23rd, 2019

As some of you may know, the IRS requires Traditional IRA, SEP IRA, Simple IRA and other qualified retirement plan investors to take a minimum distribution from those investment vehicles starting in the year the investor turns 72 years old. The calculation of the minimum distribution is calculated every year by the IRS based on the age of the investor and the value of the account as of December 31st the year before. All distributions from these accounts are 100% taxable as ordinary income. If you are younger than 72 you may want to consider diverting a portion or all of your retirement contributions to a Roth IRA or Roth 401k to avoid or reduce your required minimum distribution later in retirement. Please read my recent article What’s So Great About Roth IRAs?

 The IRS has allowed investors to direct their required distributions to a charity of choice with that distribution being tax-free to the investor. Some important rules:

For example: Jane Doe has a $25,000 required minimum distribution she must take out by the end of the year. She distributes the following:

Jane Doe has $12,000 of tax-free distributions and $13,000 of taxable distributions to add to her ordinary income taxes.

In the year you turn 72 be sure to stop sending your charity and/or tithing donations from your bank account, social security or pension payments. Set-up a new plan to pay all of your charitable gifts from your required minimum distribution. If you are near or turning 72 and would like help in setting up your qualified charitable distribution plan, please give us a call and we’ll walk you through it.

Remember, your 1099 may OR may not indicate you made a qualified charitable distribution from your IRA so it’s important to have a copy of your statement showing the qualified charitable distribution to give to your accountant during tax time.

If you have any questions or would like some advice on qualified charitable distributions, please give me a call.

Christina Jones


Financial Planner

Partner, Windsor Wealth




620 Spring Street SE

Gainesville, GA 30506


The accounts discussed here are long-term retirement accounts. Non-qualified distributions prior to age 59 ½ may be subject to taxes and possible penalties. RMD’s are generally subject to federal income tax and may be subject to state taxes.


Raymond James and its advisors do not offer tax or legal advice. You should discuss any tax or legal matters with the appropriate professional.

Securities offered through Raymond James Financial Services, In., Member FINRA/SIPC.  Investment advisory services offered through Raymond James Financial Services Advisors, Inc. Windsor Wealth is not a registered broker/dealer, and is independent of Raymond James Financial Services. Raymond James financial advisors may only conduct business with residents of the states and/or jurisdications for which they are propertly registered.  Therefore, a response to a request for information may be delayed.  Please note that not all of the investments and services mentioned are available in every state.  Investors outside of the United States are subject to securities and tax regulations within their application jurisdications that are not addressed on this site.  Contact your local Raymond James office for information and availability. Links are being provided for information purposes only.  Raymond James is not affiliated with and does not endorse, authorize or sponsor any of the listed websites or their respective sponsors.  Raymond James is not responsible for the content of any website or the collection or use of information regarding any website's users and/or members.